Tuesday, June 17, 2008

My Morning Jacket

Add Date: June 17

Artist: My Morning Jacket

Album: Evil Urges

Label: ATO

Genre: Rock

Comments: During their years of relative obscurity, My Morning Jacket were always at the top of the list of "Bands That Should Be More Popular." Whatever their big break was (Bonnaroo?), it's finally happened for them. And now, the backlash. Evil Urges has been praised (Spin Magazine gave it a 4.5 of 5), panned (Pitchfork, a 4.7 out of 10), and everything in between. It isn't a career-defining record; nor is it a forgettable album. Instead, it's the record MMJ should be expected to make now that they're playing before larger crowds in bigger venues. On first listen, it doesn't sound like their early stuff, or even 2003's It Still Moves. But follow the progression of the band's sound that continued with their well-received 2005 record Z, and Evil Urges is a good fit. Start with "I'm Amazed," "Aluminum Park" (which sounds to me like an arena-rock version of my favorite MMJ tune, "Mahgeetah"), both parts of "Touch Me I'm Going to Scream" and the title track.

No comments: