Thursday, October 14, 2010

Jail Weddings

Add Date: October 12 

Artist: Jail Weddings 

Album: Love is Lawless 

Label: White Noise/Try-Vow 

Genre: Cabaret punk! 

Comments: "Quirky" is the best way to describe Jail Wedding's record Love Is Lawless--a wonderful, eccentric cabaret-noir-punk-esque record. Quite honestly, it sounds like the World/Inferno Friendship Society's little brother band--dramatic vox, sax, drums, tons of members, and I'm sure raucous live shows, although Jail Weddings has a bit more doo-wop style. W/IFS has been my fave band since early high-school, so I have a soft spot in my heart for this type of music (although a small part of me is always going to compare Jail Weddings to them--sorry to the latter). The flair and unconventional instruments make this type of music difficult for some people to get into, but if you can, it's awesome--danceable, sweet harmonies, vintage (like, 1920s vintage) style, consistent rhythms, etc. Try tracks 2 and 8.

No comments: